Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Day 14 - Playing House

I'm Your Mother, I'm Your Father

Amiel (on the pedestal) receives his certification of completion
from the kindergarten teacher
From day one of this journey, I've know I was doubling as the kids' mother, albeit without the finesse that their real mother does it with.  I pack them off to school, greet them when they come up, remind them to eat, force them to change out of dirty clothing, you get the idea.  But today I reached new heights (actually a new low from my standpoint, as you'll see) when I attended Amiel's kindergarten party celebrating a year of fun and learning.  I mentioned in an earlier post that their had been some discussion on this point, seeing as only members of the female persuasion were invited to the event, his mother is out of time, his grandmother will arrive exactly one week late, and his sister has a dress rehearsal for her theater performance later on the same week.  I had decided that no representatives of the family would come, since he didn't seem at all upset at the prospect of being unrepresented.

But then, out of the blue, I got a phone call this morning.  It was Ido, the kindergarten "Rabbi".  He told me that there was at least one other father who was coming on behalf of his wife, who was unable to attend, and so I could come, too, if I wanted.  I didn't want to, truth be told, but I asked Amiel when he got home, and he was very pleased at the prospect.  And so I found myself entering the kindergarten room at 4:30 in the afternoon, wading through a sea of female age peers.  This, is for me, a novel experience, neither pleasant nor interesting.  Due to the cultural biases in our community against mixing of the sexes beyond childhood (unless you're related), I was not about to interact with these women.  Even if I had something to say to them, it would create an awkward situation if I were to try to start a conversation with one of them.  And I didn't have anything to say to any of them, anyway.  Well, actually, there was a moment at the end of the party, after the gifts were given out to the various kindergarten staff, that I did have something to say to someone.  Each gift was presented by a different mother, who read off a short speech saying how much we all appreciated that particular staff member in their particular role in the kindergarten.  The first woman, who presented to "Rabbi" Ido, read off a very eloquent and witty piece, written in rhymed verse.  I was curious to know if she'd written it herself, and she was one of the few women there I did feel free to converse with, since her husband is a good friend of mine, and I've had interaction with her when at their home.  But by that time, I was more interested in getting back to the ranch than discovering latent literary talent.

Lend a Hand

There are times when everything just seems to come together.  A little forethought, some earnest requests for cooperation (some might call it pleading), and whammo! the house has been transformed.  From looking like "a tornado hit it", as my wife likes to remark, to a relative orderly, pleasant living space.  That is what happened this afternoon.  I assembled all the children, delegated tasks, and within 25 minutes, all the laundry (two loads' worth) was folded, all the toys, books, and clothes that were strewn around the living room got put away, the dishes were washed, the floor swept and mop, and I felt pretty good about myself.  This perfect orchestration happened one time so far, and that's good enough for me.  If it happens again, well, that'll really be extra credit, as far as I'm concerned.

No comments:

Post a Comment